Ashland University hammer throwers wasted no time creating the list of Eagle All-American accolades on Day 1 of the 2019 NCAA Division II Outdoor Championships, Thursday (May 23) in Kingsville, Texas.
Helenthal's top heave of 56.34 meters/184-feet-10 makes her a four-time D-II All-American, while Leigh's best mark of 56.19 meters/184-feet-4 gives her a third D-II All-American citation. Both Helenthal and Leigh end their AU careers with their best nationals placements in the hammer.
Baker now has two D-II All-American awards, and her first in the hammer, following her top launch of 54.38 meters/178-feet-5.
Junior Alex Hill followed in the men's hammer with a third-place finish, as his top heave of 63.46 meters/208-feet-2 on his third throw, which allowed him to get to the finals, was good for the same nationals finish as he had a spring ago.
This is Hill's sixth Division II All-American award.
The men's 400-meter dash preliminaries saw senior Myles Pringle turn in the fastest time in the field at 46.53 seconds to advance to Saturday's (May 25) finals. Sophomore Channing Phillips was 14th in 47.85 seconds.
Sophomore Trevor Bassitt will compete in Saturday's men's 400 hurdles finals after recording the fastest time in Thursday's preliminaries at 52.14 seconds.
Through three of 21 events, Ashland's women are first in the team standings with 12 points. Through four of 21 events, the Eagle men are tied for 11th with six points.
REMAINING ASHLAND UNIVERSITY 2019 NCAA DIVISION II OUTDOOR NATIONALS SCHEDULE
Friday, May 24
- 1:30 p.m. Central/2:30 p.m. Eastern – women's discus throw (Baker No. 15 seed)
- 4:30 p.m. Central/5:30 p.m. Eastern – men's discus throw (Hill No. 16 seed)
- 5:05 p.m. Central/6:05 p.m. Eastern – women's high jump (Jindra No. 11 seed)
- 5:50 p.m. Central/6:50 p.m. Eastern – men's 200 dash prelims (Pringle No. 15 seed)
- 6:55 p.m. Central/7:55 p.m. Eastern – men's 110 hurdles prelims (Bassitt No. 3 seed)
- 8:10 p.m. Central/9:10 p.m. Eastern – men's 4x400 relay prelims (No. 4 seed)
Saturday, May 25
- 1:15 p.m. Central/2:15 p.m. Eastern – women's shot put (Baker No. 1 seed)
- 5:05 p.m. Central/6:05 p.m. Eastern – men's shot put (Glass No. 18 seed)
- 5:30 p.m. Central/6:30 p.m. Eastern – men's high jump (Pringle No. 10 seed)
- 6:05 p.m. Central/7:05 p.m. Eastern – men's 110 hurdles finals (Bassitt, if qualify)
- 6:25 p.m. Central/7:25 p.m. Eastern – men's 400 dash finals (Pringle)
- 7:30 p.m. Central/8:30 p.m. Eastern – men's 400 hurdles finals (Bassitt)
- 7:55 p.m. Central/8:55 p.m. Eastern – men's 200 dash finals (Pringle, if qualify)
- 9:05 p.m. Central/10:05 p.m. Eastern – men's 4x400 relay finals (if qualify)