Ashland University junior designated player Dayna Denner continues to earn postseason plaudits, as she was named 2019 second-team All-America by the Division II Conference Commissioners Association (D2CCA) on Wednesday (May 22) afternoon.
The award makes Denner the 11th player in program history to earn All-American status.
Denner turned in one of the most productive offensive seasons in program history this spring. She hit .400, becoming the fifth AU player to hit that high since 2001, and drove in 47 runs, the most for any Eagle since Sunny Litteral's 55 two decades earlier.
Also in 2019, Denner scored 37 runs, rapped 13 doubles and 10 home runs, had a .669 slugging percentage and a .522 on-base percentage, drew 29 walks and was hit by 12 pitches.
In addition to the All-America honor, Denner also has been named first-team All-Midwest Region by both the D2CCA and National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA), and first-team All-Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, in 2019.
Denner is the third Eagle to earn All-America status from Daktronics/D2CCA since 2007, along with her head coach, Emlyn Knerem, in 2010 (second team), and Taylor Menhart in 2015 (honorable mention).
ALL-TIME ASHLAND UNIVERSITY SOFTBALL ALL-AMERICANS
- Dayna Denner, DP, 2019 (second team D2CCA)
- Taylor Menhart, OF, 2015 (honorable mention Daktronics)
- Emlyn Knerem, P, 2012 (third team NFCA), 2010 (second team Daktronics)
- Josie Nelson, P, 2003 (third team)
- Alicia Longstreth, C, 2002 (second team), 2001 (third team)
- Julie Weir, C, 2001 (third team)
- Sunny Litteral, OF, 1999 (first team), 1998 (first team), 1997 (first team), 1996 (first team)
- Natalie Pry, P, 1999 (first team), 1998 (second team), 1997 (third team)
- Jodi Mason, C, 1997 (second team)
- Desi Gillman, OF, 1995 (third team)
- Heather Lefford, SS, 1994 (second team)