For the second time in as many days, Ashland University junior designated player Dayna Denner has earned first-team All-Midwest Region recognition.
On Wednesday (May 8), it was from the Division II Conference Commissioners Association (D2CCA). On Thursday (May 9), it from the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA), as Denner became the first Eagle in three years (Jen Moore) to be named first-team all-region in the same season by both organizations.
This spring, Denner hit .400, becoming the fifth AU player to hit that high since 2001, and drove in 47 runs, the most for any Eagle since Sunny Litteral's 55 two decades earlier.
Also in 2019, Denner, a first-team All-Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference selection, scored 37 runs, rapped 13 doubles and 10 home runs, had a .669 slugging percentage and a .522 on-base percentage, drew 29 walks and was hit by 12 pitches. Her walk total and on-base percentage each lead the GLIAC.
The 2019 NFCA Division II All-American teams will be announced on May 22 at the national championship banquet in Denver, Colo.
ASHLAND UNIVERSITY FIRST-TEAM ALL-REGION SOFTBALL PLAYERS
- Dayna Denner, 2019 NFCA and D2CCA, 2017 NFCA
- Jen Moore, 2016 NFCA and D2CCA
- Sarah Alley, 2015 Daktronics
- Taylor Menhart, 2015 NFCA and Daktronics; 2014 NFCA and Daktronics
- Alyssa Kelley, 2012 first team NFCA
- Emlyn Knerem, 2012, 2011, 2010
- Shannon Gray, 2009
- Logan Hursey, 2009
- Ann Dunmire, 2003
- Josie Nelson, 2003
- Alicia Longstreth, 2002, 2001, 2000
- Julie Weir, 2001, 2000
- Sunny Litteral, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996
- Natalie Pry, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996
- Jodi Mason, 1997
- Misty Waller, 1996
- Desi Gillman, 1995, 1994
- Heather Lefford, 1994